Slider

Our Easter Tradition

Sunday, April 1, 2018


Back in Guatemala Easter is completely different is mostly about processions, alfombras de aserrin (sawdust carpets), devotion as the majority are Catholic. It is beautiful and the smell is great. If you get a chance please google to see the beauty or even better visit Guatemala! So being in this country sometimes you have to adjust to new traditions such as the Easter egg hunt and the Easter baskets.
I didn't caught up to all that until my two older kids where 6 and 3 years old. I started noticing those things when my daughter started preschool were they had an Easter egg hunt at their playground, but then at elementary school that was gone, so I wanted to keep the fun of the egg hunt but also make a new tradition for my whole family.

On Easter day we start the day with a scavenger hunt, they have to find clues to find their own Easter baskets. The first year I placed a box of goodies on the table but couldn't see their reaction as they are early risers...so that was no fun for me. You can make your own clues as easy or as hard depending on their age. Note to myself next year I want to try to hide lots of eggs around the house with puzzle pieces to reveal where their baskets are! I really enjoy making their baskets and you can see what I did for them this year. (Easter baskets)
After getting their baskets we get ready to go to church. We do go to church almost every Sunday but this day is important and especially to be there early.
For special days I love to dress my kids with matching colors. I recommend Old Navy/Gap because is the one place you can get clothes for all ages and its easier to match with solid colors.

Coming back home we get the house ready for a family lunch. I always like to cook something quick or something with a one pot. I love to cook but I don't like washing dishes! One time I did Chipotle Chili and it was delicious I recommend it. This year I wanted the classics like ham, mashed potatoes but I did Shepherds Pie where of course I ended up making a big mess in the kitchen, thankfully my mom help cleaning all the dishes! lol

After the meal we like to get right to the egg hunt! Our egg hunt is not just for kids, adults get on the fun too! They hunt for the candies, prizes and money. If I don't add fun things the adults might not participate. Most of the eggs are candies, as one time I did chocolate and I learned my lesson they were all melted within minutes. Other eggs will have money, not like $100 but mostly quarters and dollars and believe me they are happy with that as they say is good for the tollway or gas money (my sister words) The rest of the eggs you will find a note with the prize you won, now my family are chocolate lovers so this is where I give the big chocolates, like the golden bunnies or king size chocolate bars. Then last but not least we like to add our tradition with cascarones (confetti egg shells) I place them along with all the eggs and whoever grabs them can smash them on anybody's head so all the confetti will be all over their hair and clothes. This makes the egg hunt exciting and thrilling.

I'm thinking in the future once all the kids in the family are a bit older maybe adding some games like sack races, egg and spoon races, etc. It is a good day to be with your family so just do whatever fits you as long that everybody is sharing some quality time together.

Happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan